Ying Xu is a Ph.D. student in School of Education, UC Irvine, with a specialization in Language, Literacy, and Technology. Her research interests broadly center on the areas of technology assisted language learning, digital literacy, and learning analytics.
University of California, Irvine, PhD Student in Education, 2016 - Present
Sun Yat-Sen University, Bachelor’s Degree in Chinese Language and Literature
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals
Park, Y., Xu, Y., Collins, P. Farkas, G., & Warschauer, M. (in press). Scaffolding learning of language structures with visual-syntactic text formatting. British Journal of Educational Technology.
Xu, Y. Rethinking literacy education in digital era: Digital storybook as a learning tool for young children [J], China Educational Technology, 2014, 333(10): 29-35.
Warschauer, M., & Xu, Y. Technology and equity in education. In J. Voogt, G. Knezek. R. Christensen, & K-W. Lai (Eds.) International Handbook of Information Technology in Primary and Secondary Education. New York: Springer US, doi:10.1007/978-3-319-53803-7_76-1
Xu, Y. & Warschauer, M. (in press). Language and digital divide. In B. Warf (Ed.) The Sage Encyclopedia of the Internet. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
Manuscripts under Review
Xu, Y., Xu. D., Simpkins, S., & Warschauer, M. Does it matter which parent is absent?: Labor migration, parenting, and adolescent development in China (revise and resubmit in Journal of Family and Child Studies).
Tate, T., Collins, P., & Xu, Y., Krishnan, J., Yau, J.C., Prado, Y., Farkas, G., & Warschauer, M. Visual-syntactic text format: Improving adolescent literacy (revise and resubmit in Scientific Studies of Reading).
Yau, J.C., Krishnan, J., Xu, Y., Tate, T., Farkas, G., Collins, P., & Warschauer, M. Better together: How teacher collaboration supports technology implementation and student learning during a large-scale technology-based literacy intervention.
Selected Conference Presentations
- Xu, Y., Yau, J., Warschauer, M., & Collins, P. (2018 April). Examining the role of teacher efficacy in the implementation of a large-scale technology-based intervention. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New York. [View]
- Nominated for Best Paper Award in the Technology as an Agent of Change in Teaching and Learning (TACTL) sig.
Xu, Y., Yau, J., & Reich, S. (2018 April). Understanding preschool children’s engagement and learning with interactive eBooks. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New York. [View]
- Xu, Y., Xu. D., Simpkins, S., & Warschauer, M. (2017 April). Does it matter which parent is absent?: Labor Migration, Parenting, and Adolescent Development in China. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, San Antonio, TX. [View]
Xu. Y., Yau, J., & Reich, S.(August 2018). Reading with hotspots: Exploring young children’s haptic engagement with touchscreen stories. Poster presented at the American Psychological Association Annual Convention, San Francisco, CA. [View]
Xu. Y., Yau, J., & Reich, S. (April 2018). Tablet for independent reading?: Exploring young children’s page navigation and story comprehension. Poster presented at the American Psychological Association: Technology, Mind, and Society, Washington. D.C. [View]
Krishnan, J., Tate, T., Yau, J., Xu. Y., Prado, Y., Collins, P., Farkas, G., & Warschauer, M. (January 2018). Digital scaffolding for English language arts. Poster presented at the Institute of Education Science’s Principal Investigators’ Meeting, Washington, D.C.
- Digital Scaffolding for English Language Arts, US Department of Education Award, IES Goal 3 Study, 2016 - Present
- Interactive Word Knowledge E-Book, US Department of Education Award, IES Goal 2 Study, 2017 - Present
- Proficient in the statistical programming language, R and Stata.
- Proficient in quantitative data analysis methods, including various causal inference models, multi-level models, social network analysis.
- Proficient in video analysis.
- Intermediate level in programming of Python.
Visiting Research Scholar, UC Irvine, 2015 - 2016
Digital Book Designer/Editor Guangdong Publish Group, Guangzhou, China, 2012 - 2013
- Designing digital interactive storybooks for young language learners.
- Collaborating with authors to convert original printed book to digital version.
- Participating in research project Digital Publishing: Current Challenge and Future Promise.